Here’s some fun trivia about swimming & swimming pools* to share with your friends and family!
- An elephant can swim as much as 20 miles in a day, and it uses its trunk as a natural snorkel.
- The bikini was named after Bikini Atoll – an American nuclear testing site in the South Pacific.
- The turbo pump on the main engine of a space shuttle is so powerful that it could drain an average-sized pool in just 25 seconds.
- Niagara Falls would be able to fill all the swimming pools in America in less than 3 days.
- 65% of Americans don’t know how to swim.
- Olympic-size swimming pools can hold between 700,000 and 850,000 gallons of water.
- The only state with legislation on who can teach swimming is Florida. Instructors and life guards must be certified by law.
- Like all other types of exercise, swimming requires you to stay hydrated. Your body produces sweat, but since you are already wet, it is not visible. So make sure to drink enough water!
- The longest swimming pool in the world is in Morocco. It is 1,574 ft. long and 246 ft. wide. It covers 3.60 hectares and is filled with sea water.
- Over the course of your life, you will produce about 25,000 quarts of saliva – that’s enough to fill 2 swimming pools!
Our team of experts at Pool Blue Inc. have been designing, building and installing swimming pools for homeowners in the Lakeland, Florida area for more than 20 years. Look at our photo gallery and then give us a call to schedule your consultation!